It’s the most wonderful time…of the year. It’s time for changing seasons, family get-togethers, and cuddling up in a warm blanket with some hot chocolate. And best of all, it’s time to try out all of our favorite soups, like New England Clam Chowder!
When I was little, I loved sprinkling those little oyster crackers all over it and going back for seconds and thirds. New England Clam Chowder was also one of my pregnancy cravings…I wish I’d had this recipe back then, because that one got a bit pricey!
Now, New England Clam Chowder is a family favorite. And in the Instant Pot, it’s super easy and fast to make! It’s chock full of delicious clams, tender but hearty veggies, all surrounded by a creamy, savory broth.
My version is also gluten free, but if you want to sprinkle those little oyster crackers on top, go right ahead!
Have You Tried the Instant Pot?
When the Instant Pot first came out, I thought it was some weird trend. I couldn’t figure out why people were going nuts over a pressure cooker! I mean, aren’t those the things chefs fuss around with on cooking competition shows?
A couple of years ago, I gave in and got one on a Black Friday special. (Thank you, Amazon!) I was wary, but I kept seeing all of these wonderful recipes and figured it was worth a shot. I’m so glad I did!
Today, I use my Instant Pot just about every day – sometimes 2 or 3 times a day! I make everything from soups to ribs, rice to curry. I’m able to plan healthy meals that my guys love quickly, easily, and for a lot less money. Works for me!
There are some amazing deals on Instant Pots this time of year…if you’re in the market, be sure to check them out!
Instant Pot DUO Plus 60, 6 Qt 9-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and SterilizerInstant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and WarmerInstant Pot DUO80 8 Qt 7-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
New England Clam Chowder
1 Tb coconut oil
6 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 large carrot, chopped
1 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup corn
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ t. Old Bay seasoning
1 t. fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
2 T. cornstarch
1/4 cup water
3/4 c. clam juice (can substitute vegetable or chicken broth)
½ c. heavy cream
2 6.5-oz. cans minced clams, including juice
3 T. fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat Instant Pot using the Saute function. When the display registers as “Hot,” add 1 Tb coconut oil. As it melts, swirl it around. Add chopped bacon, stirring occasionally, for approximately 3 minutes. It should be cooked, but not crispy; it will continue to cook, and you don’t want it to burn.
- When the bacon is cooked, add the chopped potatoes, celery, carrots, corn, and garlic. Stir to combine and cook for 2-3 minutes. Select “Cancel” to turn off Instant Pot.
- Drain the clams, reserving the clam juice. Add additional clam juice to equal 1 cup. (You can substitute chicken or vegetable stock if you like.) Add salt, pepper, Old Bay seasoning, thyme, and bay leaves. Stir to combine, making sure there are no bits stuck to the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Put the cover on the Instant Pot and set the valve to “Seal.” Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes, then NPR (natural pressure release) for 5 minutes. Carefully turn the steam valve using a wooden spoon or other long instrument to release the pressure. When the pressure is released, remove the lid.
- Set the Instant Pot to “Saute” and add the clams. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring well.
- Make a slurry by mixing the corn starch and water. Pour the slurry into the chowder and stir well, cooking for 2-3 minutes until the mixture thickens. Press “Cancel” to turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add the cream and stir well. Ladle into bowls, garnish with chopped parsley, and enjoy!
Be sure to print the recipe card below, and pin this recipe so you’ll have it handy!
Looking for more easy Instant Pot recipes? Here you go!